Monday, May 30, 2011

Languages

I was asked how it was that I knew Latin, which I think refers to my discussion with Ilana at the Statue.  You'd be surprised what you can learn when you live over a hundred years.  We had very few resources, but there were teachers among us, and Jacob encouraged the knowledge of Latin for the more "formal" activities.
Spanish is my native tongue, but I use it only a little.  So I have English, French, Russian, some Moroccan Arabic, Cantonese, Japanese, and a few others.  To be frank, I think Finnish was the hardest to learn.  We use English on the Island, but that is mainly since it was found by accident by the US Military in the early 1950's.  Prior to that, we had used French and Portuguese.  But really, we used what best suited the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment