Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Smoke Monster - what did I know?

Many people think that I knew all about the Smoke Monster, but that was far from the truth.  I knew that the Dark Man was also the Smoke Monster - he admitted that to me when I was still shackled on the Black Rock.  He tried on several occasions to tempt me, to bring me around to his side, but I regarded him as an evil spirit, a nightmare made real.
I really didn't know much else during my time.  We could limit it with ash circles, and Dharma found was of using technology to create a sonar fence.  It could be called at times, to fight aggressors, but I don't know why it would attack the attackers, something to do with anger, passion, destruction.  It would rip and crush, but did not eat at all.  It could not pass through solid objects, nor over large bodies of water.  As smoke, it could move over the ground, but never entirely lose touch with it.  The Egyptians apparently saw it as an underworld god, and built a temple to it, where it lived at some times.  It could read people's memories and knowledge, learning of new ways. Ben thought he could control it, but like me and others, it was the one who was manipulating us.
It was not until we few managed to fly off the Island, that Clare and the other of Jacob's candidates told me that it was Jacob who had made that thing by some accident, and this is what underlined our struggle for so long.  The Monster had been a man at sometime in the past, and was killed when the Island's power was turned off by Desmond at the Heart, and he became a man again, in the image of John Locke.

No comments:

Post a Comment